Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bashing vs. humor

George W. Bush has the distinction of being the most hated political figure in the world right now. No person has taken more criticism for his decisions, more second-guessing, and more flat-out resentment than he.

Type in 'bush' on the Facebook Flair application page and see what you find.

Bush is compared with a monkey. Shoe-throwing is encouraged. His last day is viewed with extreme joy. He is called evil, -----,-----,----(you get the picture). There are numerous games mocking him, a countdown clock to the end of his terms, and even more unmentionable things designed to bash the man who is leading the country.

My question: Is there a point in which we become too critical of a president? Is there a point where we become a nation divided by political parties? Is there a point where 'political humor' becomes unreasonable?

Not that this is a terrible thing; to have political views and freedom is what America is all about.
In fact, I enjoy a good political cartoon as much as the next person. The problem is, when it becomes purely centered on bashing the president, I get a little uncomfortable. Isn't there supposed to be some respect for the people who run this country, whether you agree or disagree?

The presidency is not the easiest job in the world. Again, the presidency is NOT the easiest job in the world. Not only do you bear responsibility for what you do, but also for other things out of your control. You must make decisions based on what you think is best for the country as a whole-you WILL offend someone no matter what you do.

And that's not to say that I agree with everything Bush has done. I'm not real thrilled about his domestic spending and I'm disappointed with some of his middle-of-the-road politics. But let's flip the coin now.

Fast forward to January. President Barack Obama steps up to the podium to deliver his first speech as president. I'm watching. Do I agree with this man? No, not on the majority of issues. Do I think he is the most qualified to run our country? No. Did I vote for him? No. But, in the midst of all this--do I think Obama is 'president evil'? No. Do I think that Obama should be assassinated? No. Do I think Obama's marriage should be discussed in the tabloids? Absolutely not. Do I think that he should be called names that make me blush? No.

He is the president. He deserves respect because of who he is. He is the leader of the country for the next four years. He is the man who will do his best to do what he believes is right for America. No matter what your position, that's what he is. Show some respect.

No comments: