Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A bias vs. a prejudice

THERE IS ALWAYS A BIAS.

Even when you are trying to unbiased, unless you have absolutely zero knowledge on the subject (and that means absolute zero) there is no way that you can be completely unbiased on a subject.

Furthermore, I have no problem with biases!!! I have no problem with people having UNIQUE perspectives!!! That's what makes us different from each other.

Consider this, a bias is "an inclination of temperment" according the the Merriam-Webster dictionary. That is to say, it is not by definition negative. I believe that our biases are shaped in three primary ways--our experience, our upbringing, and lastly, our education.

My past experience makes me not like heights. I was 'forced' on roller coasters in my early years and still have not gotten over that. That 'tramautization' has made me view any rides with a drop with no small amount of nervousness.

My childhood has taught me to enjoy fishing and the outdoors.

My homeschooling education has taught me the value of individual attention and prepares me to work one on one effectively with a professor.

I have a bias towards the place where I work--because I work there. I have a bias against certain sports teams--because my past experiences. You, the reader, have a certain bias towards what I am writing because you have some knowledge or experience that shapes your attitude toward this piece.

In politics, a bias is usually interpeted as an extremely negative thing. Racial biases have been especially highlighted in this year's presidential election. The real problem is not a bias, it is a predjudice, which is defined as an "irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics."

A prejudice is definitively negative. It is bad. We know this from the history of the civil rights movements in the South.

This is an important difference. Now, the point must be made that a bias should always be proclaimed when neccessary--for instance, teaching a college class. If you state where you are coming from, no one can fault you for indulging in your bias if they know there is one. You have made clear your views.

The conclusion is--accept your biases, analyze them to see if they are grounded in reality, and be fully aware that they exist.

No comments: